i've had it con you


Friday, February 29, 2008

I'd like to think I'm not any kind of snob, but I'm definitely not a food snob. I love elegant, beautiful food at fancy restaurants just as much as the next guy (and the next guy LOVES elegant, beautiful food at fancy restaurants), but I also have a special place in my heart (and pantry) for things like Velveeta, Cream of Mushroom Soup and Lunchables. I'm not picky. I have no problem with chain restaurants, like Olive Garden. I tell you this because I don't want you to think my complaint is out of snootiness. It just isn't. It's out of love for common sense.

Here's my gripe:


Garlic-Herb Chicken con Broccoli? CON Broccoli? Nowhere else on the menu will you find a single word of Italian, but here, in the chicken (pollo) section, they've thrown in a little Italian preposition. For... effect? I understand you don't need to present the entire menu in Italian because precisely ZERO of your patrons expect authenticity from you, but...CON? This does not make me feel like family, Olive Garden. This makes me feel like you are an idiot.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to eat lunch. I can't decide if I'm going to have Beans Y Rice or Crackers Avec Cheese.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I expected a little more french from you, darlin! How about "crackers, un de la cheese" (drawing from the college dialect of Franglais)

Sarita said...

1) I agree whole heartedly.

2) Olive Garden is stupid. When I asked them if they had the info of the gluten or w-h-e-a-t content of their menu because I'm ALLERGIC, the server kindly showed the low fat/calorie dishes marked by the little grain symbol next to them (was it wheat maybe?).

3) I speak spanish at work all day, so i sometimes accidently slip a little spanish word into my normal vocab. Don't hate me.

becky said...

dude. you need to blog

Anonymous said...

The Garlic Herb Chicken con Broccoli is one of my favorite dishes at Olive Garden, but I always say "with" instead of "con" when I ask for it. I think this falls into the Moons Over My Hammy/Spud au Broc category of menu items designed to make customers feel stupid when ordering.

Angie said...

And don't forget the "Rooty Tooty Fresh and Fruity" at IHOP. I have to imagine menu items like that are almost invariably called "This One" and are accompanied by a finger pointing at the photograph.

The Cliftens said...

I have had it con your lack of posting. Post the nicklecade video! And call me! I want to hear about yesterday!