Leaping & Jumping: Lessons from a Non-Athlete


Friday, January 27, 2012











Over the past few months, I've had the chance to speak about my favorite topic: How to Quit Your Day Job. Being an independent worker has become so integral to who I am, that when given an opportunity to talk about it and an audience who might care, I just Can't. Shut. Up.

I'm not picky about my stage (this goes for speaking and singing karaoke), but the smallish roundtable setting at Alt was perfect. The people at my session seemed truly engaged and interested in how to make the leap. They asked thoughtful questions like, "How do you stay motivated without someone telling you what you have to do?" and "What about insurance?" We talked about how to make a graceful exit, how to bridge the gap between paycheck and PayPal, and how to know if you're really ready (hint: you'll never REALLY feel ready). My goal was to deliver both RAH-RAH You Can Do It inspiration and Let's Get Down to Specifics tactical advice. Hopefully that happened! I think it did.

Whenever I speak on this topic, there is one major theme that winds up emerging and that is this:

You can create an environment wherein quitting your day job is less of a cliff-jump and more of a trust fall. Current employers, mentors, experience, resources, etc - these all make up a sort of safety net that help cushion your fall and build in some assurance that you are NOT going to wind up on the street. Unless you're quitting your day job to be a street musician. In which case, congratulations. You are out on the street!

Finding relevant information and like-minded individuals who have lived through it are huge in helping feel (somewhat) prepared. Anyway, I thought I'd share the list of resources I passed out to the folks at my roundtable, on the off chance it's helpful. And if you want to hear MORE, you should know I'm speaking at Reboot Workshop tomorrow. Come say hi!

Independence in General:
Jeremy & Kathleen: Freelance Matters
Passive Panda
Creative, Inc by Joy Cho & Meg Ilasco
My So-Called Freelance Life by Michelle Goodman

Pricing:
Jessica Hische: The Dark Art of Pricing
Grahpic Artists Guild Handbook:

Coworking:
New Work City
We Work
Loose Cubes

Networking:
Creative CollaborativeMeetup
Freelancers Union

Invoicing:
Harvest

1 comment:

Qbicocoworking said...

Co-working Space
“In midst wise minds, lies great opportunities.” We totally abide by this quote. Our co-working space is specifically designed for people who are just starting a new venture or are on the verge of doing so. We understand when you are getting into starting something new, your utmost concentration is on the settlement of that business. Therefore, we provide you with a well-equipped co-working space wherein you can move-in anytime, any day! Also, it fits perfectly into your budget. Our co-working space is also a perfect match for the individual creators who need a suitable workspace to create new ideas and methodologies. Coworking Spaces in Bangalore